RETIRED and 4,473 XP transferred to Hrav Kortaga .
Created hundreds of years ago at the height of Allaria's power, Experiment C-39 began life as a trial for new warforged technology. Designed to be able to convert from a standard humanoid warforged body to a the form of a bear, complete with fur, fangs, and claws, C-39 was to be the ultimate scout, able to move behind enemy lines unnoticed. However, the trial went awry when the magewrights summoned the memory-less spirit of the former Allarian soldier to give C-39 consciousness. The Allarian spirit did not come alone, as intended. It was instead accompanied by a primal spirit, attracted by the bear's form within C-39.
When C-39 awoke, the two spirits within him were confused, frightened, and warring with each other. C-39 destroyed the lab he was created in along with most of the research team as he wildly shifted between bear and warforged forms, tearing at anything in reach, including himself. Eventually, C-39 was brought down and placed in a magic stasis field, keeping him inoperable for so long as the wards lasted.
And so, C-39 slept. While he was physically dormant, the spirits within him were still aware of each other. The nameless Allarian spirit and the primal spirit - the closest thing to a name for the spirit, for such beings have no language as humanoids do, was "the sound of a cautionary growl at dawn on a cold winter morning, the scent of pine trees in the air" - came to understand one another. Neither had asked for this existence, yet both knew they were bound together in this shell that was of both civilization and the wild. No longer afraid of each other, the spirits knew that should they ever escape their prison they would have to work together.
Eventually, long after Allaria itself fell, the city Growl - as C-39 had come to thinking of himself - slept in crumbled, and finally the magical wards holding him in place broke as the collapsing storehouse he was in disintegrated. Awake again after so long, Growl found himself in a large forest, which he came to call his home. He defended it from intruders who would spoil the natural beauty that spoke to him, until one day a legion of hobgoblins, bugbears, and gnolls entered the forest. The Empire of Hzaka had found his home.
Fighting alone, he harassed them for months before being cornered in the ruins of the laboratory facility where he was created. Finding a flickering portal, he dashed through it as the hobgoblins advanced. He found himself in a forest on a small island, and no sign of the portal that had brought him there. Heading south, he found Daunton. Every person he approached seemed to assume he was an "adventurer," and pointed him to the Hanged Man. With nothing else to do, he went where he was directed.
Appearance and personality Edit
Weight: 300 lb.
Appearance: When he maintains his concentration in humanoid form, Growl can appear as a completely normal warforged. However, he usually allows some of his other side peak through, resulting in patches of fur in various places, or fangs or claws adorning his armor plates. The same holds true when he assumes the form of a bear. He can, with concentration, appear as a normal wild bear, but usually he still retains a few plates of armor.
Personality: Growl has found a balance between the Allarian and primal spirits within him, but that doesn't mean he's always of one mind. When in humanoid form, the Allarian spirit maintains a lead in his actions, and he shows more reason and intelligence. In bear form, the primal spirit comes to the fore, and he can be a terror to behold in anger. He has always been alone, the two spirits within him having only each other to rely on, so he has yet to learn the ideas of friendship or trust. He particularly distrusts those who would manipulate him, as they remind him of his creators, who saw him only as a tool, to be put aside and forgotten when it didn't work as intended.
Adventuring Career Edit
- Blight Makes Right (by TwoHeadsBarking) - The heroes seek to get to the bottom of a mystery involving goblins and a blighted forest.
- The Power of Knowledge (by Fragsie) - The party attempts to retrieve some wayward minotaurs for the proprietor of TURTLEDOME!.
Companions, Past and Present Edit
A list of fellow adventurers that Growl has had the pleasure of being companion to (and the players of each), and the adventure(s) which they undertook together.
- Adran Cassis (Boddynock): Half-Elf Valorous Bard - Blight Makes Right
- Alek Nethendal (Ghdeh1): Human Infernal Warlock - Blight Makes Right
- Andrec (Tomalak): Human Bravura Warlord - The Power of Knowledge
- Brother Shane (Tinwe): Human Shielding Cleric of Apoli - The Power of Knowledge
- Ceryx (mohalloran): Deva Retribution Avenger- The Power of Knowledge
- Feyr (Velmont): Bladeling Wrathful Invoker of Thor (Joven) - Blight Makes Right
- Lephisto Izgon (Lephisto): Human Paladin - Blight Makes Right
- Mikara (Kalidrev): Drow Night Stalker Assassin - The Power of Knowledge
- Skalisss (jryoung): Dragonborn Paladin of Netari - The Power of Knowledge
Show Math Edit
Basic Attacks Edit
|Attack Type||Attrib||Attrib Type||Class||Class Feature||Feat||Feat Name||Equip||Equip Name||Other||Level||Total||vs ?|
|Savage Rend||+4||Wis||+0||Quarterstaff||+1||+5||vs Reflex|
|OA: Savage Rend||+4||Wis||+0||Quarterstaff||+1||+5||vs Reflex|
|Basic Ranged||+0||Dex||+2||Sling||+1||+3||vs AC|
Senses and Reactions Edit
|--||Attrib mod||Skill||Class||Class feature||Racial||Feat||Feat Name||Equip||Equip Name||Level||Other||Total|
Senses: Normal Vision
|--||Base Class||Con||Lvl after 1st||Racial||Feat||Feat Name||Equip||Equip Name||Other||Total||Blooded||Surge|
|Hit Points||12||18||5||35||17||8 (10 in beast form, per Enduring Beast Hide Armor +1)|
Surges per day: 11 (7 class, +4 con) - Surge Value: 8 base
|Saving Throw||Attrib||Attrib Type||Class||Racial||Feat||Feat Name||Equip||Equip Name||Level||Other||Total|
|Armor Class||+4||Con||+4||Enduring Beast Hide Armor +1||+1||19|
Saving Throw bonuses Edit
+2 racial bonus to saving throws against ongoing damage.
Speed and movement Edit
Speed: 6 (6 race)
Ability scores Edit
Racial abilities Edit
- +2 Str, +2 COn
- Speed 6
- Normal Vision
- Languages: Common
- Skill bonuses: +2 Endurance, +2 Intimidate
- Living Construct: No need to eat, drink, breathe or sleep.
- Warforged Resolve: Use Warforged Resolve as an encounter power.
- Warforged Mind: +1 to Will defense.
- Warforged Resilience: +2 racial bonus to saving throws against ongoing damage, and can take the better of the roll or a 10 when making death saves.
- Unsleeping Watcher: 4 hours of inactivity counts as an extended rest. You are fully aware of your surroundings during this period..
Class features Edit
- Balance of Nature: Three at-will powers, at least one of which must have the beast keywod.
- Primal Aspect (Primal Guardian): While not wearing heavy armor, use Con mod in place of Dex or Int to determine AC.
- Ritual Casting: Gain Ritual Caster as a bonus feat.
- Wild Shape: Gain the Wild Shape power.
Background benefits Edit
- Geography (Forest) = +2 to Nature
- Ritual Caster (PHB1) (Druid bonus feat)
- Warforged Tactics (EPG) (Level 1)
- Weapon Focus (Staff) (PHB1) (Level 2)
Skills and Languages Edit
Trained skills: Athletics, Insight, Nature, Perception
|Skill||Trained||Attrib||Attrib Type||Racial||Feat||Feat Name||Equip||Level||Other||Total|
Powers Known Edit
- Warforged Racial Power: Warforged Resolve (D364)
- From Level 1:
- At Will: Wild Shape (PHB2), Chill Wind (PHB2), Pounce (PHB2) - retrained out at level 2, Savage Rend (PHB2)
- Encounter: Darting Bite (PHB2)
- Daily: Faerie Fire (PHB2)
- From Level 2:
- At Will: Swarming Locusts (PP)
- Utility: Barkskin (PHB2)
Power Attack Bonuses Edit
|Power||Attrib||Attrib Type||Feat||Feat Name||Equip||Equip Name||Level||Other||Total||vs ?|
|Swarming Locusts||+4||Wis||+0||Quarterstaff||+1||+5||vs Reflex|
|Savage Rend||+4||Wis||+0||Quarterstaff||+1||+5||vs Reflex|
|Chill Wind||+4||Wis||+0||Quarterstaff||+1||+5||vs Fortitude|
|Darting Bite||+4||Wis||+0||Quarterstaff||+1||+5||vs Reflex|
|Faerie Fire||+4||Wis||+0||Quarterstaff||+1||+5||vs Will|
|Ritual Book||Free||3 lb||free at start.|
|Hide Armor||30 gp||25 lb||purchased at start.|
|Enduring Beast Hide Armor +1||1,000 gp (found)||25 lb||Found after defeating Garron  during "Blight Makes Right." |
|Quarterstaff||5 gp||4 lb||purchased at start.|
|Backpack||2 gp||2 lb||purchased at start.|
|Fling and Steel||1 gp||purchased at start.|
|Belt Pouch||1 gp||0.5 lb||purchased at start.|
|Rope, Hempen (50 ft)||1 gp||10 lb||purchased at start.|
|Sunrods (2)||4 gp||2 lb||purchased at start.|
|Sling||1 gp||purchased at start.|
|Sling Bullets (20)||1 gp||5 lb||purchased at start.|
|Climber's Kit||2 gp||11 lb|| purchased at start. Contains grappling hook, hammer, pitons (10). Items used are |
|Rare Herbs||30 gp||purchased at start.|
|Gold||118 gp, 0 sp, 0 cp|
Total weight: 87 lbs.
Carrying capacity: normal load up to 120 lb. Heavy load up to 240 lb.
+ 100 gp starting gold 0 gp ritual book (free) - 30 gp hide armor -5 gp quarterstaff - 2 gp backpack - 2 gp climber's kit - 1 gp flint and steel - 1 gp belt pouch - 1 gp rope, hempen (50 ft) - 4 gp sunrod (2) - 1 gp sling - 1 gp sling bullets (20) - 30 gp rare herbs (Nature ritual components) + 96 gp (Blight Makes Right treasure )
118 gp, 0 sp, 0 cp remaining
Magic Items Edit
"Blight Makes Right."
Enduring Beast Armor +1, Hide (PHB2 200, Level 5) 
1,294 XP - "Blight Makes Right," adventure award.  - TwoHeadsBarking, DM
1,177 XP - "The Power of Knowledge."'Link - Fragsie, DM
6,474 XP - "The Power of Knowledge."'Link - TwoHeadsBarking, D
Total XP: 8,945 XP
"Blight Makes Right."' - TwoHeadsBarking, DM
"The Power of Knowledge."' - Fragsie, DM
Wish List Edit
Growl's main priority is a quarterstaff.
2 - Vicious +1 (PHB1)
3 - Staff of Ruin +1 (AV)
4 - Deathstalker +1 (AV)
5 - Lifedrinker +1 (PHB1)
6 - Dynamic +2 (AV)
7 - Vicious +2 (PHB1)
Growl's second priority is a neck slot item.
2 - Amulet of Physical Resolve +1 (AV)
3 - Brooch of No Regrets +1 (AV)
4 - Cloak of the Walking Wounded +1 (AV)
5 - Cape of the Mountebank +1 (AV)
6 - Amulet of Protection +2 (PHB1)
7 - Amulet of Physical Resolve +2 (AV)
Level Up Summary Edit
Judge Comments Edit
Level 1 Edit
Approval 1 Edit
Approval from Dunamin
- Summary > Feats. Added Ritual Caster (class feature).
Approval 2 Edit
Approval from TwoHeadsBarking
- Summary: Under Warforged Resolve you should just give the final number.
Level 2 Edit
Approval 1 Edit
Approval from TwoHeadsBarking:
Swarming Locusts, huh? Looks like something of Garron rubbed off on you. You should get that looked at, by the way.
Approval 2 Edit
Approval from renau1g: